The Park Building Established 1904

Proof that true beauty is timeless.

When built by F.S. Barnum and Company Architects in 1904, the nine-story Park Building represented a new era in “skyscraper building” design and construction. Barnum was influenced by the Chicago School of architecture, spawned in the aftermath of the Great Chicago Fire. The new Park Building utilized innovative building techniques such as Roebling Steel Cable for concrete floor reinforcement. Due to cost restraints this type of construction would not even be considered today.

The ambitious project was spearheaded by T.M. Swetland, who with wife Carrie operated a candy store precisely where the Park Building now stands. Upon completion the Park Building instantly became one of the crown jewels of the downtown cityscape, and over the decades it has housed lawyers, dentists, barbers, dress shops, insurance companies, architects and news journals, a stamp redemption center, and countless other businesses small and large.

The Swetland family continued to own and care for the building throughout the twentieth century. Since 1938 the building had been meticulously maintained by David W. Swetland, grandson of T.M. Swetland. In 2006 Matthew Howells became the building’s second owner, and in turn began making plans to turn this elegant building into a one-of-a-kind living space.

The Park Building features bronze and granite facing, large bay windows on the second and third floors, oak trim throughout, and tall ceilings. Due to the number of large windows, the interiors are especially bright with natural light throughout. Every unit offers an uncompromising view of Public Square.

The intention of the design has been to maintain the historic integrity of the building, and supplement the classic features and finishes which have aged well, such as the stone, metal and wood detailing. Original maple flooring has been restored to once again reveal a glorious luster, and the hand-poured terrazzo flooring is as beautiful and tough as ever.

On April 16th, 2009 Cleveland’s downtown history turns a corner as the Park Building officially becomes home to a small group of thrilled new tenants and owners.